Jul 19, 2010

Review: Special Segments


This week is a special week on Dumb Reviews. Special because the word 'special' itself is being applied to different segments throughout the week- so its a THEME WEEK on Special Segments! That is right, I am introducing a new segment everyday this week (though technically not today) that will be re-visited upon every so often. Remember when I did youtube videos about my current favorite NBA player with my dog? That was kind of a special segment. Or the 2 times I discussed the merits of putting a movie in my facebook profile? That was kind of a special segment. Well, I am introducing more of these in hopes of making writing easier for me, and simpler to read for you.


This entry though is a review of Special Segments in general. What they can mean. The picture is something that came up on google. Segments became popularized on variety shows, where they would cut to something special in hopes of finding an audience thinking it was clever or reasonable to watch. Some segments became so popular they have reached time status. Weekly segments, DAILY segments, even everytime-I-pee segments infiltrated late night variety shows. To this day, they remain popular as a source of connectivity amongst a fanbase to say, "Remember when it used to be funny, and now they just use that segment to rail on Jay Leno". Alas, the internet has all but watered down the the sour slurry that was popular segments. Daily lists abounded, and Weekly Round-ups sunk the battleship of where to find information. But the segment still thrives. Somewhere. Possibly here. Segments, if anything, help brand a website and are therefore a good thing. I myself am a big fan of AV Club's New Cult Canon and Ball Don't Lie's 10 Man Rotation. It's called creating an empire, nanospiel by nanospiel.

No comments: