May 24, 2010

Review: The nature of movie fandom

After basking in the subversive, musky glow of the 2nd movie from screenwriters Will Forte and John Solomon, a movie based on a runner sketch based on the mocking love of an 80s TV show that people such as Patty and Selma Bouvier loved. I didn't come out and say anything there, so more obvious: MACGRUBER!

No spoilers here, and I think the fanbase for this movie already saw it, but I have an inclination to lump MacGruber with The Brothers Solomon. I do this because I believe both movies succeed in the execution of dialogue. Not only in advancing the story or arch-type of the character, but also in being downright silly and absurd. These 2 movies are crammed with hilarious sentence after hilarious sentence, and not in a manner obviously considered to be a joke. No, they are context jokes. And you know what? I don't feel obliged to say them. 1) I watched MacGruber yesterday, was a decent amount high. 2) There is no way to do them justice. 3) There are at most 20 people reading this. 4) I'll make my point some other way. 5) I have seen The Brothers Solomon, oh, 10 times by now and just wasted most of my allotted writing time on searching for a decent clip on Youtube.

It's just that these movies are being viewed too much as a movie, which is the fault of the audience member. For people already expecting something when they see MacGruber or Bros. Solo they aren't giving proper brevity to the characters. Sure, both these movies scripts would read a lot more hilarious to the standard movie-going America, and yes I am saying it takes a smarter person to wade thru the parody and the hokeyness of it all and look at the reasons for the decisions being made onscreen. It has something to do with liking hard to like characters. It might have everything to do with that. 'MacGruber is from the 80s,' is a foundation built upon not a call back joke. 'The Brothers Solomon have lax social skills,' gets played for both the endearing and the hilarious. Both movies, again I say this, are championed by tight, fast paced dialogue that the viewer has to be with, know, believe, and love the character for. I am saying this because I love these movies, but I am saying this because that's how movies work, and that's how we are able to ultimately judge people from movies they like. Saying you like Brothers Solomon means there was a genuine discovery in this movie, while saying you loved Twilight has some inherit 'I fell for it' to it.

That's what I wrote about today. I wrote about how MacGruber and how it made me happy to be a fan and believe in something. When you trust people you like to make a movie, an SNL movie, great things can happen through faith and patience. Which is what is missing not only in movie go-ers, but in people in general. I have seen the light via MacGruber, and its pitiful box office take is its crucifixion. MacGruber bombed for your movie going sins. But he shall rise again, the word shall spread, and there might not be a strong DVD sales take, but as cult as The Brothers Solomon is right now, MacGruber will make that cult stronger.

That's likely inaccurate, and very sacrilegious and against the 2nd commandment of worshipping false idols. But we like what we like, which I pretty much established without really going in too deep. Total writing time of this: 16 minutes, 8 seconds. To recap: MacGruber is great, I think it' great, you shouldn't be an idiot and not think its great, I have a bias towards liking it, people will think its great one day, I recap. And that is the true nature of being a fan of a movie. And that was probably my point.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jeannine! Look in the sky!