May 12, 2010

Review: Andy Samberg


'Jewish Comedic Legacy' or None of those word



The trouble of Andy Samberg is whether to root for him or not. He is making his name for his self in a highly specific vacuum of nuanced song-parody and internet friendly humor. And it is funny, if not unapologetically goofy. It's just not always funny. And Samberg fills the role of 'good-looking goof-ball' cast member too well. So we rushed him into a movie. The movie was Hot Rod, and that cannot be considered a bad movie for we get to see Danny McBride and Bill Hader act opposite each other, as well as one of the best lines in movie history from Chris Parnell: “I’ve got a tattoo here that fully illustrates my point. It’s of this rebellious young man, and he’s urinating on an FM radio. And then this other stream of urine is going onto that television set. Implausible, I know, but I like to think that he had sex the night before, and a little bit of residue is blocking his urethra, allowing the urine to flow in two separate directions.” Samberg in the movie? Eh. Channeling your inner-Will Ferrell is best left to Youtube users. I just want him to get another chance. It's that I don't want to hate Andy Samberg. He likely smokes a ton of weed and he dates Joanna Newsom and he pulls off that haircut. And how much I hate lasercats- I still watch it. Samberg displays a great appreciation and genuine care for the things he parodies- just not strong acting chops in them. I don't like seeing Cathy or Scrooge McDuck when they are not done justice. Sudeikas stepped out in 30 Rock, The Ten, and The Rocker. That's just one example. As every other main cast member- Arms, Forts, Wiigs, Hader, and Keenan- have proven themselves completely viable outside SNL confines. Hell, even Jorma has, and he is the behind the scenes guy who helped build the Samberg giant. I'm just saying all this, because there is hostile comedy nerd uprising against Samberg. He can continue in his schlock of 80s parody and catchphrases and entertain 13 year olds to fulfill the role of 'internet age Adam Sandler', or he can do something else and I can have a higher opinion of him. Whatever. He should gain 150 pounds as art. Whatever. He should fuck fruit on stage. Whatever. He should hang out at Western Unions and ask people if they are surprised to see him. He can't help he is marketable. I just don't really like him. I mean look at that picture- a messenger bag to a gala event?

No comments: