Mar 17, 2010

Review: the emotions brought about by 'Precious' continued


OK. Reading the last entry about Precious still felt a little back handed. Sure I complimented them, but I know myself. This one isn't done quite yet. Is it a matter of a good movie being a good movie? No. It never is. Well it is if you're an idiot, but Precious, to me, isn't about being a good movie- it's about its place in pop culture. And that is something you earn. Jaws might not be a good movie to some, but people must see Jaws or they are missing out on something special. So fat black women are the new sharks? Yea, let's go with that. It brings me back to my first point- that Mo'Nique won an Oscar for this. "Mo'Nique won an Oscar?" "Yes." "I gotta see that movie." And that's how that works. Again, I'll say this- I watched Jerry Springer the other day and an audience member called the fat black woman on stage 'Precious'. It's engrained in our pop culture for 2010- fat black people now have a movie to hang their hat off of, hereby dethroning Disorderlies. And, yes! YES YES YES! This is an easy target! If you make a movie about poor black women who are obese, there is some stereotype in there. The handled it wonderfully- but still the stereotype is inherit... that's why most white people in the south will never see Precious. Sad Butt True. And for a good measure, you threw a Mariah Carey in there? Well, put yourself on a pedestal and charge me two dollars to throw a ball at you. And why am I mad? I'm only arguing with myself in order to comes to terms with a movie that I'll never watch again. I personally loved Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and felt that should have been recognized more. Also World's Greatest Dad and Bruno. There's your 2009. I think I'm good now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's the only reason why I watched "say anything" and "empire records." - their place in pop culture.

Although I thought they were both stupid, I probably would have felt differently if I saw them when I was younger or when they came out/were more relevant. IE Jaws is probably boring to someone watching it for the first time today and being at least 25 years old