Mar 16, 2010

Review: the emotions brought about by 'Precious'

Precious: Based on the novel Push by Sapphire I have to clarify.

OK, I had some fun poking fun at the fun people in the movie Precious, mostly because it is weird that Mo'Nique has one less Oscar than Meryl Streep, just as many as Kate Winset, and one more than Jackee from 227. Ha! I didn't say she didn't deserve it though. I was afraid of and amused by her at the same time. I shouldn't say amuse... I shouldn't admit to being amused, but scary people are amusing (see Saw 2-6). Mo'Nique's role required her character to act as another version of herself- always a challenge- and the sister nailed it. That's all I'm going to say about her because she won an Oscar so you can add the 1/34433233912347th of a penny my accolades will help her out. And I'm not going to talk about Gabourey Sidibe either, because life is imitating art now, and she'll have about 2 more movies before I really don't care (there are so many racist jokes I heard about this subject because racism is ridiculous). Anyway- Lee Daniels should get the majority of my praise, because that movie is a slow burn of sadness. From rape scenes to a teenage girl's moment of freedom being used to fantasize about being famous before she has to think about being forced to eat feet. Very sad movie, which when watched stoned- made things all the more real. But again- I was stoned, and found the best part of Precious to be the way the classroom scenes were handled. All those girls had problems, and Precious was just another girl in that class, which made me feel like she was a real person. And when shit did hit the fan, the other girls- namely Jo Ann (favorite color: fluorescent beige)- didn't overtly concern themselves, and Jo Ann would never stop being herself. Limited roles, ya know? They can make a movie. The actress who played Jo Ann is named Xosha Roquemore. So what if I didn't say anything really? I was hard on Precious Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire before, and it was because I didn't want to fully admit to enjoying it as much as I did. It's ok to like things, even if they are easy to make fun of. Just because it stands out and just because Tyler Perry attaches a name to it doesn't make it more 'black-cceptable'. No. That's not even a word. It's not even 2 words. Blame any precursory thoughts on hype. Because hype sure does kill. And while I'm at it, Andy Dick- people can say whatever they want about you- you are still to be cherished. That's all.

No comments: