Aug 3, 2010

We Got Lucky! Vol. 1 Pt. 1


WE GOT LUCKY! As I was cleaning the giant stack of VHS tapes we've accumulated in our apartment, there was one in the pile that my wife had taped when she was a teen. Neither of us knew we had this, so naturally I put the tape in as means of background fodder for me to continue cleaning. And oh- did this tape suck me in.

The calender year was of 1998. This tape included: episodes of Growing Pains that strongly feature Leo DiCapz as the kid Mike Seaver loved like a brother or some shit like that. Very little Ashley Johnson's Chrissy in these episodes and Ben, who I fucking hate, dealt with a bully. And these were taped of Zoog Disney.

It was interesting to study Leo DiCapz knowing full well what he would become. Did he flash those shades of brilliance? If I mean good looks, than yeah. Acting-wise: meh. My theory on the Leo DiCapz acting train is that the man emanates leading man musk. He was great in The Aviator, and hit us with his best shots in the banner year of Blood Diamond/The Departed. Plus I just saw him the day before in Intercepticon. He sure does act in Growing Pains. He's not funny by any means, and when his character, Luke, tells a joke- he does so by smiling. Leo goes for more real reaching, which is very welcomed over the punctuated acting of that fuckhole Ben. There were 3 episodes, and one of them was Leo's send-off episode where we meet his truck driving no good dad. Blah blah blah. Alan Thicke drives a truck. It is simple to note, that Growing Pains is all about Mike Seaver- and watching these episodes made me realize why I shouldn't care about Growing Pains- because it revolves around this young adult who schemes while he grows up. Leo stole the show, but really because it was before he was famous. Also his character was a homeless kid.

There was also a bunch of "why did they choose to do this" disney channel commercials. Like interviews of 7 year olds about their Christmas traditions, and horrible representations of popular shows like Bug Juice and accurately horrible ones of the Famous Jett Jackson. But really- this is just the tip of the Iceberg. This was a 5 hour tape, and I just covered 1 and a half. This tape gets better. Better than our first glimpses of Leonardo DiCaprio on a classic 80s sitcom better.

No comments: