Aug 18, 2010

Review: the lexicon of the Cheech and Chong Filmography


Cheech and Chong were a comedy duo for 10 years before their first movie came out in 1978. That was Up in Smoke. It is the best titled for the masses of their movies. It is also the weakest of their movies. I'm not saying it is great, because it very much is. It just depends too much on the fact that they are who they are. And Chong doesn't get enough screen time. 'Next Movie' which was their next movie was absolutely brilliant in that it was more sketchy and clearly didn't care what it was supposed to be. The title is their best titled for fans of their movies. However, I find Nice Dreams to be the most coherent movie. It blends the sensibilities of the act, with a plot that is ripe for their mischief, all the while maintaining an edge that anything can should and will happen. 1982's Tough All Over showed that the duo could adapt their act to a 80s commercial hip vibe. Then the next year came Still Smokin', which capitalized on their fandom. The movie was more centered on their live performance and you should only watch if you are a fan or, um, are high. The Corsican Brothers? I don't know, man. I need to watch that one again. I remember not liking it though, which can't be right. It's Cheech and Chong. They've mined diamonds out of basically a one note premise. I think I was too young when I watched it, because I wasn't accepting of these guys in a wholy fantastical world, which sounds awesome now that I'm typing it as I think about write now. I tell myself to think ahead when I write, but man, I'm writing about Cheech and Chong... and... you should get this picture.

Closing- watch Cheech and Chong. It's a Benny Hill cartoony atmosphere with the groundwork that made Pineapple Express so wonderful. The pacing and dialogue is unlike any other movie out there, and that's why there are 6 of these movies. Like all the greats- go chronological with these movies. See how they develop. See where it went awry, or if it ever really did. I just remembered a handful of wonderful scenes from Corsican Brothers. Ok. Phew. I'm done now. I shouldn't still be typing but I am. Ok.

No comments: