Feb 16, 2010

Taking President's Day Off


Whatever you are supposed to do on President's Day- say the word President, watch for a special scroll at the bottom of CNN, buy a commemorative Disney pin with either Abe Lincoln Goofy or Franklin Pierce Mickey, actually be a president if you are one- most of America knows it as a three day weekend and are therefore thankful America comes up with stupid enough holidays to take the day off. Taking a day off, in America, means actually taking a day and exploiting others who aren't as fortunate to close work on bank holidays and hopefully seeing your mailman in jeans. But with time off comes guilt and with that guilt comes the burden of going back to work and within that going back to work is a thankfulness to get a day off. So there is a circle created that makes everything seem less important, which I think hurts the president's the most. But what do I know? I smoked pot the entire day, which actually turned into future blog entries, current blog entry, and remembering that I should be working. And I think that's what taking a day off in the midst of a busy January right after Martin Luther King Jr day during NBA all star weekend and Valentines and a start of an Olympiad while other struggles in my life abound is all about--- remembering that I should be doing something. You got me again, America.

No comments: