Jan 12, 2010

No More, Mr. Movie. No more Mr. Cle-EE-EAN

Today's high concept subject meant not to be taken seriously: Raising

I didn't think I needed a picture. It's raising. I can show you it by telling you to move hold something up. Or simply 'bring up'. Up is a key word here. And thus I established a great criticism of raising. Raising is fun and good and all. I have raised my hand to call attention in a quiet matter. I have raised the roof simply by just bending my palms back toward my shoulders and then straightening my arms towards said roof. Really a delight. I have also been the product of a raising in that I was brought up by a mother with help from a father or vice versa. Now, all these experiences were happy ones, but what if there were choices within the word raise. If raising could multi facet itself into something more than just a 'word' with a 'definition'. Where are the pioneers of raising? The ones who take down walls and put up walls with different materials, the ones that say "hey I feel like I am raising even though nothing is occurring to constitute a classic raise, but hey- feeling." Oh the tyranny brought about by the Miriams and Websters of the world. They could be reading this right now and plotting a massive campaign for raise. Oh I can picture that. "Raising Awareness helps raise awareness of how to use raise!", "Raise means what it is", "Don't change words, Change minds of people changing words". That last one is too wordy, word people. I am my own suspense, I will not corroborate within the realm of your jurisdiction--- I threw a nickel on the ground to watch it bounce and I felt I raised that nickel. You can't fight feelings. Can't.

Getting back to the subject, I think raise should be used more in pun situations. Like employee says to Boss- "i'm getting a raise?" boss says to employee- "yes, laser rays!". Honestly, I just needed to pick on a word here, and raise seemed a little too comfortable not to be pushed around. Remember- people who misuse words are arching people too.

No comments: