Oct 21, 2010

Review: Eastbound and Down: where we are now

http://ology.com/sites/default/files/Picture%2070_0.png
Do I want Stevie Janowski to be happy? That's a question I've been kicking around in my head since Chapter 10.

Stevie Janowski serves Kenny Powers. I mean that literally and figuratively. He's his sidekick and he does errands for Kenny. Because he is in 'black ops' with Kenny, Stevie is a gauge of Kenny's attitude.

Ultimately- this is Kenny's show. I don't think anyone wants it any other way. So when we see Stevie have a girlfriend and have a real moment of pathos and desperation with Kenny when requested to dump that girlfriend- I want Kenny Powers to be Kenny fucking Powers. So of course that means denying Stevie pleasure. Which, wow, I didn't know I'd feel so badly about. Part of why I feel bad is because we almost see Kenny feel bad. But we know Kenny and we know what Kenny thinks of Stevie- a punching bag of comfort.

The question is DO I WANT to see Stevie happy? At what cost is Stevie's happiness? Stevie has grown a lot by just emulating Kenny Powers. That's likely a bad thing, but serving Kenny makes him happy, right? I just don't view it that way. I just view it as Kenny Powers and the guy he keeps around to serve him. If Stevie is truly happy- does that mean he has stood up to Kenny? Does it mean he has realized just how awful a human Kenny is? Does it mean that Kenny is actually taking care of himself?

My concerns about Stevie all stem from my concrns about Kenny- a man that needs to change but I don't want to see change. Kenny is way to entertaining a spectacle for me to wish otherwise. So I project my feelings on Stevie. Which is just what Kenny does. I don't want Stevie to be unhappy- I just don't want him sidetracking Kenny. That's what a fan of a TV show wants. As a person who wants to see the good in people--- well I'm not gonna think about this.

These are fictional characters after all. Goodness knows I don't want to see any reflection of myself in these people.

No comments: