Jul 31, 2011

Claptrap


It's actually claptrap. One word. Go ahead. Type it into word. It won't be red-underlined. Redunderlized. Claptrap means "absurd or nonsensical talk or ideas". I think it was also a popular pony name in the 1800s.

Is this a word worth reviving? No. I honestly thought it would mean trapping something through clapped hands. Like a bug. But when the hands make the audible clap sound, I'd guess that would kill it. So then I thought, it meant leading someone to a trap with clapping, then a trap that would would fence you in with walls of sounds of claps. Then I figured it meant vagina, because there is so much slang for vagina. I'd imagine a phrase to be 'a dusty old claptrap'. All these are better than the actual word for claptrap.

Claptrap should actually mean trapping claps. Like a chinese finger trap for the whole hands. Or a vacuum that sucks out sound. Those things already exist, though. Those fur things Russians use to warm their hands. To me that's a claptrap. And creating an environment that dilutes the audible quality of the clap to silence is basically just being louder than clapping.
Examples:
Claptrap

AND

Also, a claptrap.






I hope we learned 2 things today. That you don't have to care what words actually mean, and most words can refer to a vagina.

No comments: